£1.2m KTP package supports marine energy supply chain
Up to £1.2m is to be invested in a series of Knowledge Transfer Partnerships (KTPs) in the field of offshore renewable energy.
The investment by the Technology Strategy Board and the Natural Environment Research Council aims to stimulate and support innovation in the offshore renewable energy supply chain and runs in parallel with a £10m investment in the offshore wind supply chain by the Technology Strategy Board and Department of Energy and Climate Change.
Offshore wind, wave and tidal power is expected to play a big role in UK energy supply over the coming decades and represents a large opportunity for UK businesses. Continued investment in the offshore wind sector alone is expected to bring an extra £35bn into the UK economy by 2050.
The main challenge facing the marine energy industry is how to reduce costs and risks in deploying these relatively young technologies. The KTP funding will support businesses already involved in offshore energy and those interested in entering the sector but lack the capacity to innovate.
Innovative projects could involve any part of the system of power generation from offshore wind, wave, tidal stream or tidal range.
The group of KTPs will run together as a cohort supported by a series of networking events to encourage knowledge-sharing across the projects.
The deadline for submitting proposals to this targeted KTP call is noon April 24 2013. There will be a briefing event on 13 November 2013. For more details and a copy of the targeted call brochure click here or speak to your local KTP adviser. For details of your local KTP adviser, see under contact us.
- Knowledge Transfer Partnership Associate's project presented to Parliament
- KTP collaboration between InterContinental Hotels Group and Oxford Brookes University wins prestigious Partnership of the Year Award in Global Risk Awards 2013
- CIHE Study Report - KTP Management Board Response
- Enabling a resilient energy system - £1m investment for KTP call in Power Electronics
- Nuclear Decommissioning Authority to fund KTPs